Saturday, April 17, 2010

Open Your Garage For Me, Baby!

I attended a free class this morning at Seward Co-op about shopping on a budget. I was finally moved to become a member, after contemplating it for almost two years. I guess it really doesn't make sense not to be, if you are going to shop there frequently or even just occasionally. I could spend the membership fee money on a lot of other things that wouldn't have near the value. Plus, I always feel strangely guilty when the check-out clerks ask me for my member number and I stare at my shoes and mumble, “I'm not a member.” I'm planning to try to shop there as much as possible in conjunction with the farmers' market for things I'm unable to get at the market, such as staple grains and beans, dairy (if I can't find what I need), as well as personal products, like deodorant and detergents. The woman leading the class this morning suggested using your quarterly 10% discount (which you receive if you are a member) to shop from the “Wellness” section, where all of the personal products are, since these tend to be more expensive. Definitely true, as I bought my deodorant there last time and it was more than $6 for the stick. No more aluminum seeping through my pores though, so I'd say the extra buck or two was worth it.

I'm getting pumped for garage sales this year! It's unbelievable what people are willing to give away for nearly nothing, and I intend to find some good deals.

Here's what I am seeking from sales this year:

Food Preservation Supplies
half-pint and pint mason jars
jar bands
jar rack for the stock pot
electric food dehydrator
food-safe 5-gallon buckets
freezer shelving
storage containers for root cellar

Kitchen
hand-powered pasta machine
butter dish
storage cabinet
display rack for my pretty new pots and pans

Around The House
table lamps for living room
filing cabinets for my magazines and other various papers
cheap shelves for organizing the basement

Always Looking For...
nice yarn
useful craft supplies
cute/vintage/unique decorations
books
clothes/shoes (not often found)
kitchen items I didn't know I needed...ain't that the truth

No comments:

Post a Comment